One amongst us is not like the rest
OpenSuspect is an open source online social deduction game, like mafia.
OpenSuspect aims to be easily modifiable, however, our first maps are going to be focused around cold war themes.
This project is in very early stage development.
Interested to get involved? We’d love to hear from you.
Join us at
#opensuspect:matrix.org on a Matrix client (element.io).
If you need tech support, use our
OpenSuspect is licensed under the GNU GPL v3 (see LICENSE.txt)
About the project
The OpenSuspect project is a team endevour of many volunteers. Our members work on the project in their spare time, often after work or school, so we don’t have a rushed development schedule. Many of us regard the project as valuable experience in not just software development but also in team work. Our most important goals during development:
- Supportive community
- Keeping extensibiliy in mind
- Focus on learning
However, we also understand that a game needs a direction, and some problems are easiest to solve in a top-down fashion. Therefore, we agreed to implement a team structure, where each team have their responsibilities, and are organized by an elected team leader. The project is guided by the council containing the team leaders and a few elected project coordinators, who set the goals together. For the current teams and leadership, check the CONTRIBUTORS file.
About the game
The main aims of the game:
- Give a very flexible backbone for social deduction games, allow for great variety in future maps, mods and playtiles
- Encourage collaborative gameplay that is equally fun for each participant
- Chat integration and flexible chat rules to fit various needs
- Free Software, Open Source, as all things should be
Our goals for the alpha release
- At least one working map, based on a spy story from the 1960s cold war era,
- working lobby for players to customize their characters,
- multiplayer up to 15 players,
- in game text chat,
- role assignment,
- tasks to perform for a clean victory of the “home team”,
- sabotage system for a clean victory of the “traitor team”,
- kill system,
- mechanics for meetings,
- unique miscellaneous map features (e.g. intercom system, environmental kills),
- meeting system and vote system.
Our plans for further releases
- Integrated voice chat with optional location-based chat,
- multiple maps,
- highly customizable characters
- official server with match making.
Implementation of our goals
The exact way the abovementioned goals would be reached is part of the ongoing discussion in the community. Some points have been finalized, some are still being debated.
Before contributing to the discussion, please, make sure you read through our quickly evolving documentation to see which topics are still up for debate.
Requirements for contributors
After cloning the repository, you need git-lfs to handle asset storage and other large binary files.
Please join our
NextCloud instance under the same username, you use on Matrix, where most of the coordination will happen.
Important Matrix (Element) rooms for contributors: